By Mark A. Leon
What makes a moment great? Is it the setting, uniqueness, inspirational element or the magnitude? It can be one of all of these things or just a simple mental snapshot of perfection. We are fortunate in Charleston, SC to have such places and moments that are remarkable in their own stand-alone way.
We want to share some great Charleston moments with you. Some will find them very familiar and comforting and others will pen them onto their next bucket list.
Each one has a special place for us.
Great Charleston Moments
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade or another special cocktail at The Vendue Rooftop Bar at sunset watching the sun sink into the night behind the steeple at St. Philip’s Church. A breathtaking site with a cool harbor breeze and refreshing cocktail. This moment just sets a mood for a special night.
- Taking off your shoes or flip flops and walking in the base of the Pineapple Fountain at Charleston’s Waterfront Park. Let the soothing feel of the water surround your feet as you walk through one of the most recognizable Charleston sights.
- Puppy play and a craft beer (or two) at the Barrel. This watering hole combines the feel of a summer beach (It is only a few short miles from Folly) and a doggie wonderland into one special place. With a large fenced in area for adults and our four-legged friends to frolic and play, a smaller area for the feisty dogs (with pool), shuffle board, corn hole, food truck and an amazing selection of craft beer, the Barrel is the perfect moment for all beer and dog lovers.
- Shagging at Historic Mount Pleasant Waterfront Pier – Regardless of age, gender or skill level, shagging is a part of Charleston tradition. When you pick a beautiful pier overlooking the Charleston Harbor that offers sunsets of orange, amber and lavender, you
cannot find a better way to shake your money maker and share a moment among friends.
- Fishing at the Folly Beach Pier – We cannot emphasis enough the magic of a Folly Beach sunrise. Bring your fishing gear and head to the beach at 5:00 AM and set your reels out. As your line hovers over the pier into the Atlantic Ocean, you can enjoy a morning coffee and watch the sun appear for the first time once again. FYI – Roasted in The Tides Hotel is open for business very early to get Starbucks coffee.
- Church Service and stroll at the Unitarian Church and Cemetery – This open spiritual community founded in 1886 offers a service for congregants, new members or tourists looking for a place to worship. With its traditional and historic values, warm congregation and open arms approach to attendance, this is a beautiful way to begin your Sunday morning. Afterwards, walk through the scenic cemetery serving as the final resting place for early settlers, freedom forefathers, war heroes and even perhaps the famous Annabel Lee who won the heart of Edgar Allan Poe.
- Picnic at Hampton Park – What was once a plantation home, a zoo, a racetrack and a final resting spot for unknown Northern soldiers is now a picturesque park filled with flowers, trees, a pond inhabited by turtles and ducks and one of the best quiet spots for a picnic with your loved one. Prepare a special meal for two and spend it in one of Charleston’s oldest and most beautiful parks.
- Citadel Student Parade – During the school year on Friday’s at 3:45 PM, the students at The Citadel get in full uniform and gear and perform a ceremony for all at no charge. This display of honor, academics, chivalry and traditional is a blessing for the Charleston community and one that should not be missed.
- Take the Charleston Water Taxi for the Day – Not everyone has access to a sailboat or kayak, but we should all have an opportunity to experience the gift that is the Charleston Harbor. Charting from Mount Pleasant to historic Charleston and back, this vessel offers you the chance to watch beautiful sails swiftly move through the harbor, a view of Fort Sumter in the distance, the majestic Cooper River Bridge and of course our friendly neighbors, the dolphins. Soak in this Charleston moment once or even twice. A daily pass is good for unlimited use for the day.
Now make your plans to find your own Charleston moment.