By Mark A. Leon
We are back with ten (10) more amazing and fun filled activities in Charleston, SC that are completely free. Some do require some effort on your part, but we promise they will fulfill your sense of adventure, curiosity and wonder. Come with us and explore more Free Charleston.
Free Activities and Attractions in Charleston, SC
- Free Yoga on Tuesdays at Riverfront Park – Join us at King of Pops – Charleston for a free yoga class #KOPYOGACHS at the beautiful Riverfront Park (1001 Everglades Ave North Charleston SC 29405). every Tuesday May 2nd – September 26th from 6:15-7pm. The class will be taught by the talented Beth Cosi, founder of Bendy Brewski Yoga. So grab your mat, a friend, and some money for pops after class and join us for this FREE community family friendly event!
- The Restoration Hotel Art and History Gallery – Relive the aura and chic history of our great country through the open gallery at The Restoration Hotel on Wentworth Street and then head in to the elevator and enjoy a cocktail or snack at The Watch (gorgeous rooftop bar).
- Movies on the beach – All spring and summer long, enjoy great movies with a backdrop of the ocean right on Folly Beach.
Bring food, drink, blanket and spend a night under the stars.
- Open Mic Poetry and Music – Every Monday evening, East Bay Meeting House offers some of the most creative poets and musicians Charleston has to offer. Come and watch or sign up to perform. There is no charge.
- Farmer’s Markets – If there is something the Charleston area does well is support our local farmers, vendors and food trucks with our farmer’s markets. Throughout Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties, you can find one every day of the week. Click the link for your complete guide. Many offer free live music to enjoy as well.
- Avondale Outdoor Art Gallery – We love the outdoors and we love art. Avondale found a way to bring it all together. Located behind some of the Avondale communities favorite restaurants and stores is a display of some of the best street art in the area.
- Unitarian Church / Cemetery – In a quieter part of historic Charleston is the Old City Jail and Unitarian Church. If the doors are open come right in. The staff will be eagerly waiting to tell you the whole history. When you walk through the
hallowed cemetery, you may even be walking on the final resting place of Edgar Allen Poe’s love Annabel Lee.
- Gateway Walk – Perhaps one of the most hidden secrets in Charleston is right before your very eyes. The Gateway Walk is a carefully marked trail that will take you through some of the most historic churches and streets of our fair city. Enjoy the architecture, gates, grounds and take it all in.
- Bridge Walk / Run – Though we have one of the largest 10K in the country with the Cooper River Bridge Run, the other 364 days are enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. This 5 mile round trip span is not only healthy and a great workout with its steep incline, but if provides one of the most beautiful views overlooking the Charleston Harbor.
- MUSC Urban Farm Lunch and Learn Sessions – MUSC has a community garden on Bee Street that is filled with sunflowers, rosemary, lemon trees, orange trees and more. They offer free gardening lessons and tips to the community at no charge. Click the link for a schedule of events.
We hope you continue to enjoy the wonderful free offerings Charleston has. Take advantage of all that is around you.