The definition of progressive is the ability to use innovation, technology and change to create a better way of life for a community or place. To be considered progressive is the ability to combine the forces of intelligence and creativity, develop a plan of action and bring positive change. Charleston, has embraced the notion of progression, including the growth and expansion of free wifi in the county parks. With the most current expansion of four new parks to the circuit of Free wifi options in Charleston, the county is bringing the world typically confined to the homes and classrooms to the outdoors.
Charleston parks are blessed with natural beauty, enchanted weather (most of the year) and a natural combination of community, wildlife, athletics, family and horticulture. With a continued focus on higher education in the Charleston area, the ability to take students out of the classroom and bestow a virtual classroom under the warmth of the sun is a sign of positive change.
In wasn’t until October 2014, through a grant from Google that San Francisco was able to offer free wifi in over 20 public parks. New York City has planned to transplant 7300 old pay phones into free wifi hotspots beginning in 2015 making them the most wifi friendly city in the world. In the summer of 2014, Los Angeles offered this option in six parks. Charleston has joined the ranks of the largest U.S. Metro locations along with such global cities as London, Tel Aviv and Seoul.
FIND OUT HOW MANY CITIES OFFER FREE PARK WIFI
- Why provide the option of free wifi to the Charleston county parks? It is simple.
- With the growth of mobile, computers now fit into our pockets. The ability to research events, restaurants and shopping while walking the dog or laying out will have a positive impact on the economy.
- Charleston strives to promote wellness and healthy lifestyles. The wifi offers the options to track exercise routines, monitor vitals and connect with friends for outdoor activity.
- The offering of park service will bring more of the community together in a concentrated area and promote more engagement in Charleston.
Have you spent a Spring, Summer or Fall in Charleston? Being outdoors is the place to be. Whether you want a tan or just people watch, the Charleston parks are fun.
- The city and the parks offer a limitless realm of imagination. By eliminating borders, we are opening up the creative process. From writers to inventors to digital artists, the outdoors opens up so many possibilities.
- Do you work from home? Now you don’t have to be stuck in a home office. You can be on the grass. We promise not to tell your boss.
You can Tinder and meet in a safe forum (if you are into that kind of thing).
- If you spend enough time working in the park, you may someday end up on Google Earth.
To the Charleston county officers who have fought hard to allocate funding for this expansion of Free internet throughout the county, we applaud your efforts and thank you for allowing all people the option to work, play, surf or just discover something new right at their fingertips while still letting the dogs run.